Congratulations on your admission to Dickinson State University. We look forward to your arrival on the DSU campus and your participation in the many activities we have planned for you.
Admission to the university is only the beginning. You will need to apply for you F-1 or J-1 visa, secure housing and notify the CMA of your travel and arrival plans.
The next few months will be a very exciting and busy time for you. Preparing well in advance will make the transition to life at DSU an exciting adventure in your life.
- Make Financial Arrangements to Pay for Fees. You are expected to pay fees when you arrive on campus. Fees are charged on a semester basis. The first half is due in August and the second half is due in January. Fees can be paid by bank wire, travelers’ checks, international money order, or by credit card. You must pay your fees in order to remain enrolled at DSU. Dickinson State University Scholarships and discounts may only be applied to the cost of tuition. Items not covered include: school fees, room and board, textbooks, health insurance, and incidental expenses. Please refer to your I-20 or appointment letter for the estimated costs of program participation.
- Calculate Spending Money. Other costs to consider include long distance and international telephone calls home, school supplies, and personal expenses such as doing laundry, shopping, and entertainment. Most students prepare to spend approximately $1,500.00 US a year. Students will receive assistance with opening a US bank account upon arrival. IMPORTANT: Banks in Dickinson do not do instant exchange of foreign currency. Students are encouraged to depart for the US with at least $200 in American currency or have all monies converted to Traveler’s Checks.
- Pack. You will experience four distinct seasons during your studies at Dickinson State University. Fall (August-November) temperatures range from 40 F to 70 F. or 4 C to 22C. Winter (December- March) temperatures range from -30 F to 40 F or -35 C to 4C. Spring (April- June) temperatures range from 50 F to 70 F or 10 C to 22 C. Summer (July- August) temperatures range from 70 F to 100 F or 10 C to 38 C. You will experience rain and snow. Fortunately, winter clothing can be purchased inexpensively in the US.
Residence halls are fully furnished but you must provide your own pillow, linens, blankets and towels as well as toiletries and other personal effects such as clothes hangers, alarm clocks, laundry aids, etc. Many items you will need can be purchased in the United States upon arrival. Remember to pack as lightly as possible and keep all important documents in the bag you will be carrying with you
In addition to your clothing, bring any important document related to your academic, medical, and legal history. We recommend carrying these items in your personal bag. It is especially important to bring original versions as well as English translations of the following:
- School Records
- Medical Records
- Certificates of immunizations and vaccinations
- Information about medical conditions or treatments
- Prescriptions for medication and eyeglass or contact lenses
- SEVIS I-20/DS-2019
- Letter of Financial Support and Bank Statement (translated to English)
- Emergency Contact Information for Dickinson State University and from Home
- Finally, don’t forget your international calling cards and bilingual dictionary!
NOTE: The Center for Multicultural Affairs will be hosting year-round events which celebrate global and cultural diversity. If you have any traditional clothing, souvenirs, photographs, or items from your country which you would like to share with others, please bring them.
Once in the United States, if you experience any flight delays, cancellations, or difficulties, please contact DSU at 1-800-279-4295. This is a free number that can only be used in the United States any day from 8:00 am to 10:00 p.m. If no one answers, please leave a detailed message with your name, location, and situation. Many times, we will not be able to call you back so tell us when you will call again. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org