Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When should I apply for graduation?
    You should apply for graduation two terms prior to your intended graduation date.
    • Four year intended graduates must have a minimum of 90 credits to apply for graduation.
    • Two year intended graduates must have a minimum of 32 credits to apply for graduation.
    • Certificate program students should apply after they complete their first term at Dickinson State University.

  2. Can I apply for graduation more than once?
    No. If you have questions regarding your requirements please contact your advisor or the Office of Academic Records, May Hall 111.
  3. When will I know if my graduation application has been processed?
    Once your application for graduation has been processed, your graduation audit information will be emailed to your DSU email account.  It may take 2-3 weeks before this audit will be available for your review.

  4. What if I need to change my graduation date to a later semester?
    Please notify the Office of Academic Records of this change. Do not reapply for graduation.

  5. Should I reapply if I want to change my major, add or subtract a major or degree, or add or subtract a minor?
    No. Please notify our office and we will make the necessary adjustments to your account.

  6. When will I receive information about Commencement?
    A Commencement participation letter is sent about mid-semester to all students who have declared their intent to graduate, and to those who graduated during the previous fall semester. Students must return the letter in the self addressed stamped envelope found with the participation letter.

  7. Do I need tickets or guest passes for the commencement ceremony? 
    • No, all and any number of guests are welcome.
    • All seating is general.
    • Seating is on a first come, first serve basis.
    • Seating is available on the main level for guests who are disabled or need special accommodations.

  8. How do I obtain a cap and gown for the ceremony?
    Purchase your cap, gown, and tassel from the Balfour Company if you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. Email a Balfour representative at Balfour representatives will be on campus at the Student Center, watch for posted dates and times.

  9. When will I get my diploma?
    Diplomas are mailed three-four weeks following the close of the academic session in which graduation requirements have been completed. Your diploma will be mailed to the address indicated on your "Application for Graduation" form.

  10. What are the requirements for "Graduating with Honors"?
    Honor cords can be worn by undergraduate candidates who achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher in courses completed at Dickinson State University and transfer course work at the end of the semester proceeding the graduation term. Official DSU honor cords are distributed to eligible undergraduate candidates during commencement practice held Thursday, December 17th at 6:00 p.m. or during the assembly process preceding the ceremony.

  11. How long will the ceremony last?
    Typically the ceremony is 1-1/2 hours long.

  12. My name is spelled incorrectly in the student record system.What should I do? 
    Complete the official Name Change Form from the Office of Academic Records. Provide proper documentation as described at the top of the form and return it to the Office of Academic Records as soon as possible.

  13. Can I order additional copies of my diploma?
    Yes, you may order additional copies of your diploma. Dickinson State University will furnish the first copy of your diploma free of charge. There is a $25 charge for additional copies. To order, please contact the Office of Academic Records at (701) 483-2331. You may also download the of diploma order form.

  14. Do I need to reapply for admission if I have received a certificate or my associate's degree to continue my studies at DSU? 
    Yes, you must reapply for admission to Dickinson State University once you have received your certificate or your associate's degree. Please contact the Office of Academic Records at (701) 483-2331 for admission. No additional application fees are required.

  15. Will a Transcript be sent with my diploma?
    No. We do not send transcripts with diplomas. If you wish to receive an official transcript, you must send us a written request or refer to Please note on the request that you would like to have your transcript sent out after your degree has been posted.