The Privacy Act protects “records”, i.e., any information about a person, such as education, financial, medical, criminal and work history, that contains one’s name or other personal identifier (PI).
Personal identifiers include but are not limited to:
- Date and place of birth
- Family data
- Religion, race, national origin
- Participant’s names/results in ED studies
- Home address
- Home telephone number
- Personal e-mail address
- Alien registration number
- Driver’s license number
- Medical or financial information
Basically any information that is unique to a student, faculty or staff member.
In order to safeguard PI information the following steps will be taken:
- When working with PI information on the computer utilize a privacy screen.
- When working with PI information on paper insure that all reasonable precautions are taken to protect the information when out of view.
- All paper & media containing PI information will be shredded.