Living on Campus

Am I required to live on campus?

All first-year and second-year full-time students are required to live in a residence hall on campus and purchase a meal plan for the full academic year. Students have to meet certain criteria to be exempt from this policy. View our Student Live-On Requirements policy to find out if you are required to live on campus. To appeal this policy, fill out a Housing Appeal Request form.

How do I apply for housing?

Once you have completed the application process and have been accepted to Dickinson State University, you may apply for housing by logging into your VIP page. You must submit a $200 non-refundable pre-payment to hold a reservation. This application and pre-payment is due Aug. 15 each year for the fall semester and Jan. 5 each year for the spring semester. The $200 non-refundable pre-payments will be applied directly to your room and board fee.

How can I view my room and roommate information?

When a student is assigned a room and roommate, the information will be posted on Campus Connection. Follow the instructions below to view this information.

  • Login to Campus Connection
  • Click “Self Service” in the menu on the top left
  • Click “On-Campus Housing” on the top middle of the menu that appears
  • Click “Continue”
  • Select “Dickinson State University” and click “Continue”

How do I contact Campus Security?

Campus Security is on call 24/7. They can be reached at (701)290-1068. Please report any issues to the Housing & Dining staff in each building.


When can I check in?

When you receive your housing assignment, information about when you may check-in will be included.

What should I bring with me?

All residence spaces (except North Campus Apartments) are furnished with beds, desks, and dressers. Typically, our students bring the following:

  • Blankets and pillows
  • Pillowcase and fitted and flat sheets to fit an XL twin bed
  • Towels
  • Clothes hangers
  • Rugs
  • Wall decorations and sticky tack or Command Strips
  • Alarm clock, television, DVD player, telephone
  • Small refrigerator, microwave
    • Please be aware that only one refrigerator and microwave are allowed per room. Talk to your roommate ahead of time to prevent doubling.

Is there anything I can’t have in my room?

  • Candles (even for decoration), space heaters, toasters, crock pots, rice cookers, hot plates, coffee pots with exposed hot plate, etc.
    • Please be aware that anything with an exposed heating element or that gets warm to the touch when in use is not permitted.
  • Extension cords (bring a power strip with a long cord instead)
  • Alcohol or tobacco containers (even for decoration)
    • Please keep in mind that DSU is an alcohol- and tobacco-free campus.

Is there a telephone available?

All local calls within the university and the city of Dickinson are free from a line provided to your room. You will need to provide a phone to plug into this line. You will need to dial “9” for off-campus and long distance calls. All long distance calls from the land line phone will require the use of a calling card.

How will I do my laundry? What will it cost?

Laundry facilities can be found in designated areas of each residence building. Students may use the machines free of charge, but each student is responsible for purchasing their own laundry detergent.

What will my address be?

Box numbers are assigned when you first check into your room. Mail may also be sorted by name if necessary (if a student’s box number is unknown). The addresses for each of the residential facilities are listed below.

DeLong Hall
281 DeLong Place
Dickinson, ND 58601

Main A
717 11th Ave W #1-8
Dickinson, ND 58601

Main B
711 11th Ave W #9-16
Dickinson, ND 58601

Main C
715 11th Ave W #17-24
Dickinson, ND 58601

North Apts.
1678 Prairie Ave #1-24
Dickinson, ND 58601

950 Campus Dr.
Dickinson, ND 58601

Woods (Currently Offline)
841 5th St
Dickinson, ND 58601


Can I request a roommate?

You can request a roommate as part of your application process. If you would like to request a roommate after you have completed the application, please call Housing & Dining at (701)483-2091.

What if I have problems with my roommate?

We make every effort to mediate roommate issues as they arise, but we also realize that sometimes, things just are not working. If you have an issue with your roommate, follow these steps:

  • Talk to your roommate. Open communication with them is key to a good relationship, and it is often the fastest way to solve an issue.
  • Talk to your Resident Assistant (RA). These staff members are students, like you, and they are often able to understand what you are experiencing. They are great at mediating a conversation, if needed, and at offering suggestions.
  • Talk to your Resident Director (RD). If the problem is too great to handle with the help of your RA, they will typically refer you to your RD. These individuals are full-time staff members who live in the halls. They are aware of different options which may be available to you and are wonderful resources for many issues.
  • If you are still unable to find a resolution for the issue, contact the Office of Housing & Dining.

Payment Information

When is my housing payment due?

Room and board payments are due in full on the first full day of classes.

What if I am paying with financial aid?

Regardless of the method in which you choose to pay for your room and board, the $200 non-refundable pre-payment is required to hold a reservation and will be returned to you through your student account when your financial aid is disbursed. In order to use financial aid for your room and board, you must ensure you have completed your FAFSA, submitted verification documentation, and have accepted your award on Campus Connection before the first full day of classes.

What happens if I don’t pay or I don’t submit my vaccination record?

The State Board of Higher Education requires all students under the age of 21 or who have not completed at least 60 transferable college credits must have valid documentation of meningococcal vaccination. Failure to pay your room and board fee or provide proof of vaccination may result in being locked out of your room or administratively withdrawn from courses.

Requesting Changes

Can I change my meal plan?

Students may change their meal plan by submitting a Meal Plan Switch form during the designated times each semester. These designated times will be the second week of school.

Can I request a different room or roommate?

We believe bonding with a roommate is one of the most important aspects of going to college. Students learn a great deal about themselves and others through this experience, and they develop life-long skills of working with others, communicating effectively, and solving problems. For these reasons, we typically do not allow room changes during the first two weeks of the semester. After the first two weeks, there is an open room/roommate change request period for approximately two weeks when students may complete a Room Change Request form. These forms are located in each hall and in the Office of Housing & Dining. We make every effort to find a suitable housing assignment for everyone at that time. Change requests after this open request period are typically denied.