Students Eligible for Graduation
For the fall commencement ceremony, all students who have satisfied graduation requirements during that fall semester are eligible to participate in the graduation exercises.
For the spring commencement ceremony, all students who have satisfied graduation requirements during that spring semester, the previous fall semester, or the coming summer semester are eligible to participate in the graduation exercises.
Preparing for Graduation
Upon completion of the courses listed in your program of study, you are eligible to graduate from Dickinson State University. Below is a list of steps you are required to complete in order to graduate.
- Meet with your advisor to check on the completion of your program of study.
- Any “Incomplete” grades must be resolved prior to the recording of your degree.
- If you have done study abroad, your work needs to be recorded on your academic record prior to the recording of your degree. Please contact us if you have any questions on this process.
- Students must apply for graduation.
- If you are planning to graduate with an associate’s degree or a certificate, and are planning to go on for another program of study or a four degree, you must reapply for admission to Dickinson State University. Please contact us to reapply. No additional application fees are required.
- Refer to the academic catalog for graduation regulations. It is recommended that students formally apply for graduation two academic terms prior to the anticipated completion of their graduation requirements.
- Application Deadlines
- If you plan to graduate in the fall of 2017, you must apply for graduation by September 1, 2017.
- If you plan to graduate in the spring of 2018, you must apply for graduation by February 1, 2018.
- If you plan to graduate in the summer of 2018, you must apply for graduation by February 1, 2018.
- Once your application for graduation has been processed, your graduation audit information will be emailed to your DSU email address. It may take two to three weeks before this audit will be available for your review.
- Students are required by federal regulations to complete a Financial Aid exit interview before they graduate or terminate their enrollment if they have ever received a federal student loan at DSU. This requirement must be completed online at http://mappingyourfuture.org/oslc if they have received a Federal Stafford Loan or Unsubsidized Stafford Load.
- Complete undergraduate exit exams. Contact the Academic Success Center at (701) 483-2999 for exam times. These exams are required and must be completed prior to graduation from DSU.
- Make arrangements to check out of the Dickinson State University residence halls or apartment housing. Contact the Office of Residential Life at (701) 483-2092.
- If you plan to participate in a commencement ceremony, you must submit a Commencement Participation Form.
- Purchase your cap, gown, and tassel from the Balfour Company if you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. You may also order graduation announcements and your class ring from Balfour. A Balfour representative will be on campus to assist you with your order. If you are unable to meet with the representative, you may email him at Dave.Cross@balfour-rep.com to submit your DSU Regalia Order Form.
- Please make sure your permanent address and phone number are updated in the Office of Academic Records. We are located in May Hall room 111.
- To request disability accommodations for the commencement ceremony, contact us at (701) 483-2331.
- Keep in touch with other university alumni through the DSU Alumni Association at 701-483-2557 or email@example.com.
Location and Time
Commencement is usually held late in the morning or early in the afternoon the Saturday of Finals Week. Fall ceremonies are typically held in Dorothy Stickney Auditorium in May Hall, and spring ceremonies are held in Scott Gymnasium to allow for more attendees. Students should participate in the practice ceremony held the day before Commencement.
Spring 2017 Commencement
- Commencement Practice: Friday, May 12, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. in Wienbergen Hall
- Commencement Ceremony: Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in Scott Gymnasium
Dickinson State University
291 Campus Drive
Dickinson, ND 58601
We have reserved blocks of rooms at the hotels listed below for our students’ families who travel to Dickinson in order to attend our fall graduation ceremony. Please contact one of these hotels to make a reservation.
Astoria Hotels & Suites
363 15th St W, Dickinson, ND 58601
Code: Spring Commencement
Rate: $79.00 + tax (Q)/$69.00 + tax (K)
La Quinta Inn & Suites
552 12th St W, Dickinson, ND 58601
Code: Spring Commencement
Rate: $89.00 + tax
Book before April 21 to get this rate
Quality Inn & Suites
475 15th St W, Dickinson, ND 58601
Code: Spring Commencement
Rate: $79.00 + tax (Q)/$69.00 + tax (K)
Ramada - Grand Dakota Hotel & Convention Center
532 15th St W, Dickinson, ND 58601
Code: DSU Spring Graduation
Rate: $69.00 + tax
Book before May 6 to get this rate
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I apply for graduation?
You should apply for graduation two terms prior to your intended graduation date.
- Students intending to graduate within four years must have a minimum of 90 credits to apply for graduation.
- Students intending to graduate within two years must have a minimum of 32 credits to apply for graduation.
- Certificate program students should apply after they complete their first semester at Dickinson State University.
Can I apply for graduation more than once?
No. If you have questions regarding you application, please contact your advisor or the Office of Academic Records, located in May Hall room 111.
When will I know if my graduation application has been processed?
Once your application for graduation has been processed, your graduation audit information will be emailed to your DSU email account. It may take two to three weeks before this audit will be available for your review.
What if I need to change my graduation date to a later semester?
Please contact us. Do not reapply for graduation.
Should I reapply if I want to change my major, add or subtract a major or degree, or add or subtract a minor?
No. Please notify our office and we will make the necessary adjustments to your account.
When will I receive information about Commencement?
A Commencement participation letter is sent about mid-semester to all students who have declared their intent to graduate, and to those who graduated during the previous fall semester. Students must fill out this letter and return it in the self-addressed stamped envelope found with the participation letter.
Do I need tickets or guest passes for the commencement ceremony?
No, all and any number of guests are welcome. All seating is general and is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Seating is available on the main level for guests who are disabled or need special accommodations.
How do I obtain a cap and gown for the ceremony?
Purchase your cap, gown, sash, and tassel from the Balfour Company if you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. Email a Balfour representative at Dave.Cross@balfour-rep.com. Balfour representatives will be on campus at the Student Center—watch your university email address for posted dates and times.
What color are the gowns?
The color of gown you will wear for your commencement ceremony depends on the degree you will be receiving.
- Bachelor’s degree: Navy bachelor’s gown, navy cap, silver sash, navy and silver tassel
- Associate’s degree: Silber associate’s gown, silver cap, navy sash, navy and silver tassel
- All undergraduate candidates will wear the tassel on the right side of the cap until instructed to move the tassel to the left side.
What should I wear underneath my gown?
See Dickinson State University’s Commencement Attire Guidelines for suggestions on what you should wear underneath your gown to the commencement ceremony.
When will I get my diploma?
Diplomas are mailed three to four weeks following the close of the academic session in which graduation requirements have been completed. Your diploma will be mailed to the address indicated on your application for graduation form.
What are the requirements for "graduating with honors?”
Gold honor cords are given to undergraduate candidates before the commencement ceremony who achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher in courses completed at Dickinson State University and transfer course work at the end of the semester proceeding the graduation term. Only students earning a bachelor degree may receive honor status. Students earning associate degrees with a GPA of 3.50 or higher will earn distinction and wear a gold tassel. See DSU’s Commencement Regalia & Ornamentation Policy for additional information.
How long will the ceremony last?
Typically, the ceremony lasts about one or one-and-a-half hours.
My name is spelled incorrectly in the student record system. What should I do?
Complete the official Name Change Form. Provide proper documentation as described at the top of the form and return it to the Office of Academic Records as soon as possible.
Can I order additional copies of my diploma?
Yes, you may order additional copies of your diploma. Dickinson State University will furnish the first copy of your diploma free of charge. There is a $25 charge for additional copies. To order, please contact us. You may also submit a Diploma Order Form.
Do I need to reapply for admission if I have received a certificate or my associate's degree to continue my studies at DSU?
Yes, you must reapply for admission to Dickinson State University once you have received your certificate or your associate's degree. Please contact us for readmission. No additional application fees are required.
Will a transcript be sent with my diploma?
No. If you wish to receive an official transcript, you must send us a Transcript Request Form or refer to www.getmytranscript.com. Please note on the request that you would like to have your transcript sent out after your degree has been posted.