Accessibility Services

Register for Accessibility Services

To be eligible for services, you must provide appropriate documentation of your disability. Disabilities can be physical, psychological, or learning-related. A disability is defined as significantly limiting one or more major life activities.

Step 1: Complete a registration packet from Accessibility Services

Step 2: Submit documentation of your disability

Step 3: Contact Accessibility Services and schedule a time to meet with the coordinator

Student Rights & Responsibilities

  • Self-advocate for own needs
  • Register with Disability Services
  • Provide current evidence of a disability
  • Request accommodations promptly each semester enrolled
  • Give accommodation letter to necessary faculty and staff
  • Communicate with faculty and staff as needed
  • Provide textbook information for alternative text formats


Wondering what the difference is between high school accommodations and college accommodations? Please visit these resources:

Transitions to College for Students with Disabilities


Launch My Life ND


Confidentiality and Release of Information

Accessibility Services ensures that all student information is confidential as required or permitted by law. Any information obtained by Accessibility Services is used to verify the disability and plan for appropriate services. This information may include test data, grades, biographical history, disability information, performance review, and case notes.

Disability-related information is treated the same as medical information. For example, DSU faculty and staff do not have a right or a need to access diagnostic or other information regarding a student’s diagnosis. They need only to know what accommodations are necessary or appropriate to meet the student’s needs. No one has access to the student files at Accessibility Services except the accessibility services coordinator and the director of the Student Opportunity and Resource (SOAR) Center.

Information regarding a student’s disability may be shared with a limited group of university officials on a “need to know” basis. For example, information may be released when a student is appealing a disability-related decision or citing the disability as a mitigating circumstance in a course or program-related issue. View the FERPA/Student Information Release form on Campus Connection by completing these steps

Files maintained by the university will only be released in accordance with federal and state laws, which require release in the following circumstances:

  • A student indicates or reports that he/she intends to harm himself/herself or another person(s).
  • A student reports physical abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse of children or vulnerable adults within the last three years. This includes the occurrence of abuse or neglect to the student if he/she was under the age of 18 at the time of the abuse.
  • Files can be released legally pursuant to a court order or subpoena.
  • A student may give written authorization for the release of information when he/she wishes to share it with others. Before giving such authorization, the student should understand the information is being released. Information will not be released without consent unless it is required by federal or state law.
  • Documentation will be kept on file for five years after the student is no longer enrolled at Dickinson State. After that time, documents will be appropriately disposed of.

Grievance Procedures

Internal Grievance Procedure

Students may use the Grievance Policy for Accommodations to appeal the university’s decisions regarding requests for accommodations.

External Grievance Procedure

Students with disabilities, who feel the university may have violated their civil rights, may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). The OCR enforces federal civil rights laws. These laws prohibit discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education (ED).

Channel for Communication Relating to Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services Specialist > Associate Provost > Provost

Report an Access Barrier

All are encouraged to report physical access problems (e.g., icy walking path, elevator not working). If you encounter any barriers at DSU, please contact Facilities at 701-483-2148


Disabilities can be physical, psychological, or learning-related. A disability is defined as significantly limiting one or more major life activities.

Accessibility Services can help you by discussing the options available. We don’t provide screening for disabilities, but the accessibility services coordinator can give you referrals to get evaluated. You are responsible for all testing and documentation costs.

That decision is up to you. Disclosure is a very personal choice and should be done only after careful thought. If you have a disability, there are no requirements that you tell anyone about it at any time, but to receive accommodations at work or in college, you must let Accessibility Services know about it.

Maybe, but not necessarily. High school special education programs are required by law to provide whatever service, help, or accommodation you need to be successful. Colleges and universities are required by law to provide “equal access to education” through programs, services, or extra help. Access is provided through reasonable accommodations. For example, services such as word banks or reduced assignments probably won’t be provided, because higher education schools don’t provide adjustments that would change the educational standards of coursework.

If you are 18 years old or older, you are legally recognized as an adult. As an adult, you must self-identify to Accessibility Services, request accommodations, and submit supporting documentation. Accommodation requests and disability documentation will only be accepted from you, not from your parents. However, parents are a wonderful source of support, and we encourage you to have open communications with them or other significant family members.

Yes, absolutely! If you’re planning to visit our campus as you select a university, let your enrollment coach know that you’d like to speak with someone from Accessibility Services or if you will need any accommodations during the visit.

Please note that you are not required to disclose your disability at any time. The decision to self-disclose a disability during the admission process is your personal choice. Dickinson State University does not have a separate admissions process or criteria for students with disabilities. Disability documentation should be submitted directly to Accessibility Services.

The accessibility services coordinator makes the final decision after reviewing your documentation and talking with you. Accommodations will be based on how the disability interferes with access to the activity. You can appeal decisions regarding approved accommodations using the grievance procedure.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Each university may have different guidelines related to documentation and what is a reasonable accommodation. Upon transfer to Dickinson State University, information from a previous school is helpful, but it’s still necessary for Accessibility Services to review your documentation and determine what is reasonable at our institution. 

Yes. Accommodations ensure “access,” not necessarily “success.” If you are struggling in a course, we recommend speaking with your academic or faculty advisor about your options for staying in the course and/or other resources, such as tutoring.

No. Being registered with Accessibility Services will not appear on your academic records.

You should start registering for accessibility services as soon as you have been accepted at DSU, or at least 60 days before your first semester starts so that we have plenty of time to arrange any accommodations you may need.

Please send your disability documentation to:

Accessibility Support Services
291 Campus Drive
Dickinson, ND 58601

Fax: (701) 483-2942
Note: Please include a cover letter when faxing and indicate that the material is confidential.

Note: Documentation accepted via email must be sent directly from the medical provider.

No. The IEP or 504 Plan developed by your high school will not follow you to college, but the rights and protections under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 apply. Section 504 is civil rights legislation and provides two things: (1) nondiscrimination based on disability and (2) an equal opportunity to participate. The concept of “maximizing success” is only found under IDEA for elementary and secondary school. 

Maybe, but not necessarily. If your IEP or 504 Plan contains the necessary information, it will be accepted as documentation. Please see the Documentation Guidelines for appropriate documentation.