Professional and Continuing Education

Professional and Continuing Education/Non-Degree

As part of our dual mission, we offer a variety of community education and practical training courses to support your goals for personal and professional advancement.

A non-degree seeking student is someone who wants to take courses for college credit without completing a degree.

If you later decide you want to pursue a degree with us, you can enroll as a first year or transfer student, and we’ll apply the appropriate amount of credits you’ve already earned towards your program These credits may also be transferred to another school and applied to a degree program there, at the discretion of the receiving institution.

To apply for admission:

As a non-degree seeking student:

  • You won’t be able to receive federal or institutional financial aid while enrolled.
  • You won’t be eligible to enroll in collaborative courses (courses taken from another NDUS school and applied to your DSU program).
  • If you haven’t provided official postsecondary transcripts, DSU won’t have proof that you’ve met any prerequisites, and you will need to complete placement testing and/or prerequisites for courses as required.
  • No more than 25% of the credits earned as a non-degree seeking student can be applied to a degree-seeking program of study.
  • Should you decide to seek a degree or apply for financial aid, you’ll need to complete a new application for admission (as a degree-seeking student) and supply the required documentation for the academic program you want to enter.

If you are seeking a Certificate of Completion as a non-degree seeking student:

  • Before you register for a certificate of completion program, you must provide official transcripts showing successful completion of high school graduation or official GED scores with a minimum composite score of 500.
  • You may transfer in up to nine (9) college credits. To have any non-DSU credits evaluated for use toward your certificate of completion, you must submit official postsecondary transcripts.

The North Dakota University System requires that new students provide documentation of immunity for certain diseases unless an exemption is accepted. For more details on these requirements or potential exemptions click here.

Course Audit

Dickinson State offers individuals the opportunity to participate in classes for enrichment purposes without receiving credit. Learn more about how to audit a course

  • You may audit courses with the permission of the class instructor.
  • You must wait until after the pre-registration period to request such permission as currently enrolled students have priority.
  • The instructor will decide how you will participate in class activities.
  • You won’t receive academic credit for audited classes. Course registration will appear on your transcript when you enroll. Audited courses will be recorded on the official transcript with a grade of AU when final grades are posted.
  • You will pay 50% of tuition plus all applicable fees.
  • All institutional course drop/withdrawal deadlines apply to audit courses.
  • You may not change the grading basis of the class after the last day to add a class.

  • Create or log into your application here.
  • You may apply for admission to Dickinson State by logging in to your admissions account.
  • There is a $35 application fee.
  • Complete the Course Audit Form.
  • Have the course instructor sign the Course Audit Form.
  • Return the signed Course Audit Form to the Office of Academic Records in May Hall, room 111, no later than the last day to add a class.
  • Office of Academic Records staff will enroll you in the course. 

The Office of Business Affairs must have your tuition and fees payment by the payment due date.