Questions? Contact Us.
May Hall, Room 111
Fall 2022, Spring 2023, and Summer 2023 graduates are eligible to participate in Spring 2023 commencement ceremonies.
Commencement ceremonies will be held Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 10:00 a.m. (MT) in Scott Gym.
When you finish the courses listed in your program of study, you are eligible to graduate from Dickinson State University. You must complete the steps below before graduation:
- Meet with your advisor to check on the completion of your program of study.
- You must resolve any “Incomplete” grades before the recording of your degree.
- You must apply for graduation.
- If you are planning to return to DSU for another program of study, you must complete a Continuing Enrollment Form. No additional application fees are required.
- Refer to the academic catalog for general graduation requirements. We recommend you formally apply for graduation two academic terms before you expect to complete your graduation requirements.
- Application Deadlines
- Fall 2023 – September 1, 2023
- Spring 2024 – February 1, 2024
- Summer 2024 – February 1, 2024
- After we process your application for graduation, we will email your graduation evaluation to your DSU email address. The evaluation process may take two to three weeks.
- You are required by federal regulations to complete a financial aid exit interview before you graduate or terminate your enrollment if you've ever received a federal student loan at DSU. If you have received a Federal Stafford Loan or Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, this requirement must be completed online at http://mappingyourfuture.org/oslc.
- Complete undergraduate exit exams. Contact the DSU SOAR Center at 701-502-4362 or exam times. These exams are required and must be completed prior to graduation from DSU.
- Make arrangements to check out of your residence hall or apartment housing. Contact the Campus Life at 701-502-4356.
- Return the participation form that will be in the commencement packet that will be emailed to your dickinsonstate.edu email address. The packets will be emailed six weeks before the commencement exercises.
- Purchase your cap, gown, stole, and tassel from Balfour if you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. All regalia orders will be placed online and regalia will be mailed to you. Deadline to place your order is April 9, 2023. You may also order graduation announcements and your class ring from Balfour.
- Please make sure your permanent address and phone number are updated with the Office of Academic Records located in May Hall, room 111.
- To request accessibility accommodations for the commencement ceremony, contact us at 701-502-4044.
- Keep in touch with other university alumni through the DSU Alumni Association at 701-483-2486 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a variety of hotel accommodations in the Dickinson area. The Dickinson Convention and Visitors Bureau can assist you in selecting accommodations.
When should I apply for graduation?
You may not submit an Application for Graduation until you have met the minimum cumulative credit requirements below (includes in-progress credit):
- Master’s degree: 16 graduate semester hours
- Bachelor’s degree: 80 semester hours
- Associate degree: 32 semester hours
- Certificate program: Any time during first semester at DSU
Can I apply for graduation more than once?
No. If you have questions about your application, please contact the Office of Academic Records, located in May Hall, room 111 or 701-502-4029.
When will I know if my graduation application has been processed?
Once your graduation application has been processed, your graduation evaluation will be emailed to your DSU email account. The evaluation process may take two to three weeks.
What if I need to change my graduation date to a later semester?
Please contact us at 701-502-4029. Do not reapply for graduation.
Should I reapply if I want to change my major, add or subtract a major or degree, or add or subtract a minor?
No. Please notify our office at 701-502-4029, and we will make the necessary adjustments to your application.
When will I receive information about Commencement?
If you've applied for graduation, we'll send you Commencement participation information about mid-semester. If you graduated during the previous fall semester and did not participate in fall commencement ceremonies, we'll also send you participation information. You must complete and return the commencement participation form.
Do I need tickets or guest passes for the commencement ceremony?
No, all and any number of guests are welcome. All seating is general and is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Seating is available on the main level for guests who are disabled or need special accommodations.
How do I obtain a cap and gown for the ceremony?
If you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony, you can buy your cap, gown, sash, and tassel from the Balfour Company. Please visit Balfour online to order all your regalia.
What color are the gowns?
The color of your gown depends on the degree you will be receiving.
- Master’s degree: Black gown, black cap, silver sash, navy and silver tassel, hood color depends on degree
- Bachelor’s degree: Navy gown, navy cap, silver sash, navy and silver tassel
- Associate degree: Navy gown, navy cap, navy sash, navy and silver tassel
All undergraduate candidates will wear the tassel on the right side of the cap until instructed to move the tassel to the left side.
What should I wear under my gown?
See Dickinson State University’s Commencement Attire Guidelines for suggestions on what you should wear under your gown to the commencement ceremony.
When will I get my diploma?
We will mail your diploma to you three to four weeks after the academic session in which you’ve completed your graduation requirements closes. Your diploma will be mailed to the address on your Application for Graduation form.
What are the requirements for "graduating with honors?”
You will receive a gold honor cord before the commencement ceremony if you have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher. Students earning associate degrees with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher will earn distinction and wear a gold tassel.
How long will the ceremony last?
Typically, the ceremony lasts about 1-1½ hours.
My name is spelled incorrectly in the student record system. What should I do?
Complete the official Name Change Form. Provide proper documentation as described on the form.
Can I order additional copies of my diploma?
Yes, you may order additional copies of your diploma. We will furnish the first copy of your diploma free of charge. There is a $25 charge for additional copies. To order, please complete the Diploma Order Form.
Do I need to reapply for admission if I want to earn another certificate or degree at DSU?
If you are planning to return to DSU for another program of study, you must complete a Continuing Enrollment Form. No additional application fees are required.
Will a transcript be sent with my diploma?
No. If you wish to receive an official transcript, you may order transcripts at www.parchment.com. Please note on the request that you would like to have your transcript sent out after your degree has been posted.