Professional And Continuing Education/Non-degree

As part of Dickinson State University’s dual mission designation, the institution offers a variety of community education and practical training courses to support your goals for personal and professional advancement.

A non-degree seeking student is an individual who has the intent to take courses for college credit without the completion of a degree at Dickinson State University. 

These college credits may be applied to a degree program at DSU after proper application as a First Year or Transfer Student.

These credits may also be transferred to another institution and applied to a degree program there, at the discretion of the receiving institution.

To be eligible to enroll at Dickinson State University as a non-degree seeking student, you must follow the steps to apply for admission.

Additionally, you must complete and return the non-degree form. All documents can be turned into the Office of Admissions. 

Apply For Admission

To apply for admission:

  • Create an admissions account
  • Complete the application for admission found by logging into your admissions account. Pay the $35 application fee.
  • Submit Non-Degree Form to the Office of Admissions. This form can be obtained by the link above, or from the admissions office.

As a non-degree seeking student:

  • You will not be able to receive federal or institutional financial aid while enrolled. 
  • You will not be eligible to enroll in collaborative courses. 
  • If you have not provided official post-secondary transcripts, DSU will not have proof that you have met any prerequisites and you will need to complete placement testing and/or prerequisites for courses as required. 
  • No more than 25% of the credits earned as a non-degree seeking student can be applied to a degree-seeking program of study. 
  • Should you decide to seek a degree or apply for financial aid, you will need to complete a new application for admission (as a degree-seeking student) and supply the required documentation for the academic program you desire to enter. 

If you are seeking a Certificate of Completion as a non-degree seeking student:

  • Prior to registration into a certificate of completion program, you must provide official transcripts showing successful completion of high school graduation or official GED scores with a minimum composite score of 500. 
  • You may transfer in up to nine (9) college credits. In order to have any non-DSU credits evaluated for use toward your certificate of completion you must submit official post-secondary transcripts.