Education is a meaningful investment. It is important that you take the time to explore all your options when considering how you will pay for your education. Please let us help you research the different loans, grants, scholarships, and other sources that will make funding your schooling a little less expensive. 


Federal Pell Grant

This grant may be awarded to undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor’s degree for up to 12 semesters (or its equivalent of 600%). The amount of the grant is based on the EFC number, the student’s need, estimated cost of attendance, the student’s enrollment status, and the money appropriated by the Federal Government. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This grant may be awarded to undergraduate students who are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. SEOG is a campus-based program, students should submit the FAFSA and meet he priority deadline of April 15.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

This grant may be awarded to students who maintain a 3.25 grade point average and agree to teach full-time (for at least four years within eight years of graduation) at a school serving a high percentage of low income students. The students must agree to teach a specific subject (math, science, technology, engineering, a foreign language, bilingual education, or as a reading specialist). The grant provides up to *$4,000 a year (not to exceed $16,000 for undergraduates); however, if the student does not fulfill the teaching requirement, the grant funds become a Direct Unsubsidized Loan, which must be repaid. 

*[NOTE: Due to sequestration, there have been reductions to the maximum award amount.] 

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

This grant may be awarded to a student whose parent or guardian died as a result of U.S. military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. Applicants with a Pell-eligible EFC will be awarded a maximum *Pell Grant and all Title IV aid will be based on an EFC of zero; applicants who are not Pell-eligible will receive an IASG award equal to a maximum Pell Grant for the award year. All other Title IV aid must be based on the student’s calculated EFC.   

*[NOTE: Due to sequestration, there have been reductions to the maximum award amount.] 

North Dakota State Student Incentive Grant Program (SSIG or State Grant)

This grant is awarded by the North Dakota University System to undergraduate students who are United States citizens, residents of North Dakota, and have not previously received a State Grant for more than eight semesters. The grants are need-based and are dependent upon the availability of funds and pro-rated (based on enrollment status). Therefore, the awards may be downward adjusted based on unmet need and/or to reflect the appropriate enrollment status. Students apply by submitting the FAFSA prior to April 15. For more information, visit > Paying for College > North Dakota Grants and Scholarships. 


Loans must be repaid.

Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are available at Dickinson State University.

[NOTE:  Prior to the release of the first Direct Stafford Loan disbursement, students must complete entrance loan counseling, accept the loan and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN).  The promissory note must be completed before loan funds will be disbursed.  Please complete the Master Promissory Note at] 

Forbearance, Deferment and Cancellation of Loan information can be found on the Master Promissory Note.

Loan funds that are received electronically are credited directly to the student’s account.  Loan funds that arrive in the form of a check must be endorsed by the student and then will be credited to the student’s account.  Any funds in excess of the amount owed the University at the time of disbursement are considered “excess aid” and may be disbursed to the student in the form of a check or direct deposit transaction.  Disbursement could be delayed if students have not completed Entrance Loan Counseling, are not enrolled at least half-time, or have a “hold” on their file. 

Direct Subsidized Loan 

This loan may be awarded to students who are enrolled at least half-time and have need. If eligible, a freshman may borrow up to $3,500, a sophomore (or a student in a two-year program) may borrow up to $4,500, and a junior or senior may borrow up to $5,500. The maximum amount that can be borrowed is $23,000. Repayment begins six months after graduation or if the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. 

A new borrower, on or after July 1, 2013, is eligible to receive Direct Subsidized Loans up to 150 percent of the time it takes to complete the educational program. For example, a student enrolled in a two-year program will have three years' worth of subsidized loan eligibility and a student in a four-year program will have six years' worth of subsidized loan eligibility. The borrower becomes responsible for the accruing interest during all periods as of the date the borrower exceeds the 150 percent limit. 

Direct Unsubsidized Loan 

This loan is a non-need based program for those ineligible for (any or all of) the Direct Subsidized Loan. The student is responsible for the interest payment while enrolled. The additional annual loan limit for dependent undergraduate students is $2,000. The additional annual loan limit for independent undergraduate students (or students whose parents are unable to obtain Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students) is $6,000 a year for the first and second years of study and $7,000 for the third and fourth years of study. Repayment begins six months after graduation or if the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. 

The aggregate loan amount for dependent students is $31,000; the aggregate loan for independent students is $57,500. 

[NOTE: Exit Loan Counseling is required at the time a student graduates, drops below half-time status or terminates enrollment at Dickinson State University.] 

Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

This loan enables parents to borrow money to help pay for their children’s education. Parents may borrow on behalf of a dependent student. The maximum loan amount that a parent may borrow for each dependent student is the difference between the cost of attendance and any other financial assistance. The PLUS loan requires a separate application. If the period of enrollment is more than one semester, there will be multiple disbursements. Generally, the loan enters repayment within 60 days of the final disbursement. To apply, go to, complete the PLUS Request Process and a Master Promissory Note.  

Nursing Student Loan (NSL) 

This loan may be awarded according to availability of revolving funds. It is a 5% interest loan with a $3,300 per year limit for the first two years and a $5,200 per year limit for subsequent years (maximum $17,000). If eligible for this loan at Dickinson State University, the minimum amount is $400. NSL regulations require verification of student information. Students need to complete a Nursing Student Loan Master Promissory and Entrance Loan Counseling. Repayment (through Student Loan Service Center, Dept. 3180, PO Box 6050, Fargo ND 58108-6050) begins nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half-time in a nursing program. 

Nursing Education Loan

This loan is awarded by the North Dakota board of Nursing. Applicants must be accepted or enrolled in a nursing program approved by the North Dakota Board of Nursing. The loan amounts are up to $2,000 for the Associate in Science in practical Nursing program and up to $3,000 for baccalaureate completion programs. Repayment is by nursing employment in North Dakota after graduation and/or by monetary repayments. The application is available at>Education; the deadline is July 1. 

Additional Funding Opportunities

Native American Assistance

Application forms are available from a Tribal Agency or from the Office of Financial Aid at Dickinson State University.

Rehabilitation Consulting and Services

Rehabilitation Consulting and Services assists students with physical limitations or health problems. Students who wish to apply must contact their local Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Office at Bismarck, Dickinson, Jamestown, Fargo, Minot, Grand Forks, Devils Lake, or Williston. 

North Dakota Job Service

North Dakota Job Service may have funds available through the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) for economically disadvantaged students in need of vocational training or retraining. Contact the nearest Job Service office. 

Veterans, National Guard, and Veteran Tuition Waiver

The recipients need to contact the nearest Veterans Service Office or the Dickinson State University Veteran’s Certifying Official in the Office of Academic Records.  Any dependent (child, spouse, widow, or widower) of a resident veteran killed in action, totally disabled, deceased from service-connected causes, or declared missing in action, may also be granted a waiver of tuition. 

[NOTE:  The Veterans Administration provides programs of financial assistance for the education and training of eligible veterans having completed military service.  These programs are designed to encourage self-improvement and offer financial help to such veterans in raising their education level.  The Veterans Administration and the State of North Dakota also provide financial aid for the education of sons, daughters, spouses and surviving spouses of veterans who died or were permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability arising out of active serve in the Armed Forces, or who died from any cause while disability was in existence.  In processing an application for training, the Veterans Administration will determine the applicant’s eligibility for benefits.  Evidence of eligibility will be provided to the applicant in the form of a Certificate of Eligibility and/or an Award Notification.  For more information, contact your nearest Veterans Service office or the Office of Academic Records, Dickinson State University, Dickinson, ND  58601.  In order to remain eligible to receive Veteran’s Administration Benefits, students must maintain satisfactory progress as set forth by University policy.]