International Student Health Insurance

Questions? Contact Us.

International Programs
Stoxen Library, Lower Level, Room 3

Call 701-502-4186

North Dakota State Board of Higher Education (SBHE) policy section 505 requires all international students at Dickinson State University in F-1 or J-1 status to carry the health insurance policy chosen by the chancellor of the North Dakota State University System.

If you are an international student in F-1 or J-1 status, our Business Affairs office will automatically enroll you in the insurance policy each semester. Failure to maintain or pay for health insurance is cause for termination of your student visa.

Note: Canadian citizens are exempt from this requirement but are eligible to enroll in the plan if you choose to do so.

At the beginning of each semester, the Business Affairs office will charge your DSU account for the insurance policy premiums. You must pay the total amount for the term by the fifth week of the semester. New students must pay their first semester’s health insurance within 5 days of entry into the United States.

  • Fall: August 16-December 31
  • Spring: January 1-August 15
  • Summer: If you plan to graduate in May or are going home for the summer, you must still pay the spring/summer premium in full. DSU does not allow refunds or waivers pro-rated for the summer. The insurance plan is non-negotiable and non-refundable.

United Healthcare provides the insurance for the North Dakota University System.

Please click here for insurance policy information.

Please click here for COVID-19 coverage information.

United Healthcare Contact Information
Customer Service: 1-877-433-6667

The policy number is the same for all Dickinson State University international students enrolled during a given period. Along with the group policy number, you also have a unique SR ID number that is on your insurance card. This SR ID will stay the same for you the entire time you are a DSU student.

New students

  1. Go to the United Healthcare Homepage
  2. In the school name box, type: Dickinson State University
  3. In the upper right-hand corner, click Login to My Account link
  4. Click CREATE ACCOUNT and fill in the requested information
    1. Enter your first and last name exactly as they are in Campus Connection
    2. Enter your Dickinson State email address or your Dickinson State student ID to confirm your identity

Continuing students

If you had United Healthcare coverage last semester, choose Login to My Account and log in as you have done in the past to see your new coverage information.

Problems logging in?

If you have trouble logging in to your account or creating one, you will need to contact United Healthcare’s customer service at 1-877-433-6667 or Due to privacy laws, DSU’s Office of International Programs cannot help you.

If you do not believe you are receiving emails from United Healthcare, check your spam or junk mail and update your mailbox settings, if necessary, in case the email from United Healthcare went there by accident.

After creating an account, you can print your insurance ID card or download the mobile app on your phone to access insurance information. With the United Healthcare app, you can access your digital ID card, explore care options, find a local doctor, and view your claims.

Search for "UHCSR StudentResources" for Apple or Android in the App Store or on Google Play.

Print a paper ID card

  1. Go to the United Healthcare Homepage
  2. In the school name box, type: Dickinson State University
  3. In the upper-right hand corner, click the Login to My Account link
  4. First time users: claim your account using the above instructions
  5. Returning students: enter your username and password
  6. Once logged in, select ID Card Information
  7. Request Permanent ID card and/or View or Print ID Card

VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure to always carry an insurance card with you. You never know when you may need to use it.

Under the North Dakota University System Policy/Procedure 505, you might be eligible for a waiver of the NDUS designated insurance if you can show proof of comparable coverage. Waivers are granted in only a few exceptional situations, typically when a U.S. employer or a parent or spouse’s U.S.-based employer provides coverage for a student. Waivers are NOT granted for students who are “shopping” for a lower price.

Refer to the North Dakota University System website for the requirements that other insurance policies must meet to be considered comparable to the NDUS designated insurance plan.

DSU’s Office of International Programs cannot help you research alternative insurance plans.