Dual Credit

Questions? Contact Us.

Early University Coordinator
May Hall, Room 200


Call/txt 701-401-8792

Why take dual credit?

Here are just a few of the reasons to jump-start your college career while in high school:

Students who take dual credit courses often have lower tuition. Taking college courses while still in high school allows you to have less student debt when you graduate with a two- or four-year degree.

Many students start college not knowing what they want to do when they graduate. This often means they change majors two or three times before graduating. Being able to try courses and possible career paths means you're less likely to change majors and more likely to graduate on time and with less student debt!

Going from high school into college is often intimidating. By taking courses in high school, you can use your current support systems and experience what a college course requires. This experience sets you up for success and a much easier transition!

Studies have found that students who complete college courses before graduating high school are far more likely to graduate from college.

Interested? Here’s what to do

Before enrolling, we highly recommend you check with our Academic Records office to make sure the course credits will transfer the way you hope they will. All dual credit classes will transfer, but they might only be counted as elective credits. This is more likely if you’re looking at a private school or a college or university outside North Dakota.

Questions? Call our Academic Records office at 701-502-4389.

  • Step 1 Submit Your Application

    • Create an admissions account.
      • Use the code DSUEarly to apply for free!
      • Already have an account? Log in here.
    • Fill out the application for admission on your admissions account. Please select Non-Degree > Early Entry for major.
      • Dickinson Area Schools: A DSU representative will be in your high school classroom at the beginning of each semester (fall: August/September, spring: January/February) to help you.
      • Not in the Dickinson Area? No worries! We are happy to jump on a video chat or phone call to walk you through the application, or we can send a video demonstrating how to fill out the application for Dual Credit.

Fill out the Dual Credit Course Registration Form then turn it in to your high school teacher. A parent or guardian must sign the form to give you permission to enroll in the course and to show they understand the course has tuition and fees.

When your high school teacher has received all the forms from the class, they will submit them to our Admissions office.

Math and English courses require a qualifying placement score. You may submit ACT or SAT scores or complete the Accuplacer placement exam.

Students should have an application on file with Dickinson State University before scheduling their exam.

Schedule Accuplacer Exam

There is a $30 fee for each appointment to cover the cost of the exam and proctoring. Fee should be paid online here prior to the exam and a receipt shown at the time of exam.

You can apply for financial aid through the Bank of North Dakota (BND). BND allows you to enroll in two college courses per school year for free if you:

·      are a current sophomore, junior, or senior attending a North Dakota high school,

·      have received authorization from your high school to take the dual credit course,

·      qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, and

·      turn in the financial aid application to BND during the course enrollment process.

Do you meet all four of these? If you do, go ahead and fill out this Dual Credit Assistance Application.

Frequently Asked Questions

High School Teachers

Dual Credit Instruction Inquiry

Tuition and Fees

Learn more about the cost to attend DSU.