FAQ - Housing and Dining

Questions? Contact Us.

Student Center 113A


Office 701-502-4356
On-Call 701-290-2099

Hawk logo. Blue Hawk Promise Scholarship. Visit dickinsonstate.edu/promise

Living On Campus

For Housing Live-On Requirements, please see DSU Policy 516.001.

You can submit a housing appeal if you need us to look at your circumstances to see if you can live off campus. A committee reviews your appeal and emails you with their decision.

Submitting a housing appeal does not mean you will win the appeal, and you should not make plans before you’ve heard from the committee. Getting a lease or off-campus housing before approval of your housing appeal does NOT qualify for automatic approval of your appeal.

Current students: You must turn in your appeal with all appropriate documentation by December 1 for the following spring semester and by May 1 for the upcoming fall semester.

Incoming students: You must turn in your appeal with all appropriate documentation by January 1 for the spring semester and August 1 for the fall semester.

To complete your housing application:

  1. Apply for housing in Campus Connection using your claimed System ID.
    1. Not sure if you’ve claimed your new System ID?
      1. Verify your account here.
    2. After claiming/verifying your System ID, log into Campus Connection.
  2. Click the Student Self-Service tile.
  3. Click the On-Campus Housing tab.
  4. Choose Dickinson State University.
  5. Click the Application tab.
  6. Choose the Housing Application.
    1. The semester for the application is in parenthesis.
  7. Follow the prompts to complete your application.
  8. For the application to be completely submitted, you MUST pay the $200 Pre-pay.
    1. If you don’t pay the pre-payment, your housing application will be incomplete. Having an incomplete application could cause you to lose your housing choice.

You’ll find your housing and dining information through Campus Connection. You can check on room assignments, dining plans, account info, and more. Here’s how you get to it:

  1. Log in to Campus Connection.
  2. Click the Student Self-Service tile.
  3. Click the On-Campus Housing tab.
  4. Choose Dickinson State University.

Campus Security is on call full-time. You can reach them at 701-290-1068. Please report any issues to the Housing and Dining staff in each building.


You will get check-in information with your housing assignment.

We’ve furnished all your residence spaces with beds, desks, and dressers. Usually, our students bring the following:

  • Bed sheets for XL twin (pillowcase, flat and fitted sheets)
  • Blankets, pillows, towels, clothes hangers
  • Computer or tablet, television/gaming system
  • Small refrigerator, microwave, rugs, posters/pictures (hung with sticky tack or command strips ONLY)
  • Please be aware that only one refrigerator and one microwave are allowed per room. Talk to your roommate ahead of time to avoid doubling.

  • Candles (even for decoration), space heaters, toasters, crock pots, rice cookers, hot plates, coffee pots with exposed hot plate, etc.
  • Please be aware that anything with an exposed heating element or that gets warm to the touch when in use is not permitted.
  • Extension cords (bring a surge protector power strip with a long cord instead).
  • Alcohol or tobacco containers (even for decoration).
  • Please keep in mind that DSU is an alcohol- and tobacco-free campus.

Key: If you should lose your key, contact the building staff. The replacement key charge is a non-refundable $100.

ID card: If you lose your ID card or think it’s been stolen, deactivate your card to make sure someone else doesn’t use it to access buildings/rooms or to make purchases on campus.

To deactivate your card, call the Campus Safety office at 701-502-4421 or the on-duty phone at 701-290-1068.

To replace your card, go to the Business office in May Hall, room 212, and pay the $25 lost ID card fee. You will then take your receipt to Security for a new ID card.

Laundry facilities are in designated areas of each residence building. You don’t have to pay anything to use them, but you do have to buy your own laundry detergent.

  • DeLong Hall
    281 DeLong Place
    Dickinson, ND 58601
  • Main Campus Apartments – Building A
    (Apartments 1-8)
    717 11th Ave. West
    Dickinson, ND 58601
  • Main Campus Apartments – Building B
    (Apartments 9-16)
    711 11th Ave. West
    Dickinson, ND 58601
  • Main Campus Apartments – Building C
    (Apartments 17-24)
    715 11th Ave. West
    Dickinson, ND 58601
  • Lowman Walton Hall
    300 13th Ave. West
    Dickinson, ND 58601
  • Selke Hall
    950 Campus Drive
    Dickinson, ND 58601
  • Woods Hall
    841 5th St. West
    Dickinson, ND 58601

DSU recognizes the importance of emotional support animals (ESAs) for individuals with disabilities and has established a policy regarding ESAs to assist students. The university also acknowledges that such animals’ presence may present health, safety, security, and programmatic issues for other members of the community. DSU reserves the right to alter ESA procedures, as necessary, at any time.

DSU reserves the right to enforce all relevant rules for the use of ESAs through the student conduct code and applicable laws. The university also reserves the right to revoke the permission granted for the campus presence of any ESA whose owner fails to follow the requirements set forth in ESA procedures.

Requests for ESAs will only be reviewed under the procedure for university housing. ESA animals will not be allowed in other campus facilities (i.e., classrooms, dining facilities, etc.) according to DSU policy 916.001 Animals On Campus.

Requests that do not carry evidence of the ESA’s necessity as a reasonable accommodation will be denied.

Accommodation requests are reviewed and managed by the Office of Accessibility Services. For more information, contact the Office of Accessibility Services at dsu.accessibility@dickinsonstate.edu or by phone at 701-502-4434.


Yes. You can request a roommate as part of your application process. If you want to request a roommate after you’ve completed the application, please contact Housing and Dining.

We make every effort to take care of roommate issues as they happen, but we also realize that sometimes things just aren’t working. If you have an issue with your roommate, please follow these steps:

  • Talk to your roommate. Open communication with them is key to a good relationship, and it’s often the fastest way to solve an issue.
  • Talk to your Resident Assistant (RA). These staff members are students, like you, and they’re often able to understand what you’re experiencing. They are great at mediating a conversation, if needed, and at offering suggestions.
  • Talk to your Hall Director (HD). If the problem is too big to solve with the help of your RA, they will usually refer you to your HD. These people are full-time staff members who live in the halls. They know about different options that might be available to you, and they are wonderful resources for many issues.
  • If you can’t resolve the issue, contact Housing and Dining.

We believe having a roommate is one of the most important features of going to college. You learn a great deal about yourself and others through this experience and develop the life-long skills of working with others, effective communication, and problem solving.

During the first full week of classes, you can fill out a form to request a roommate change for one week. Housing and Dining will make the form available online, review, and accept them. We make every effort to find a suitable housing assignment for everyone at that time.

Payment Information

Room and board payments are due in full on the first full day of classes.

No matter how you choose to pay for your room and board, you must pay the $200 non-refundable pre-payment ($175 for students currently living in housing) to hold your reservation. DSU will return this money to you through your student account when your financial aid is disbursed.

To use financial aid for your room and board, you must make sure you’ve completed your FAFSA, submitted verification documentation, and accepted your award on Campus Connection before the first full day of classes.

The State Board of Higher Education requires all students under the age of 21 or who have not completed at least 60 transferable college credits to have valid documentation of meningococcal vaccination. Failure to pay your room and board fee or give proof of vaccination may result in being locked out of your room or administratively withdrawn from courses.