Transfer Student Evaluations

Questions? Contact Us.


Upon acceptance to Dickinson State University, your transcripts will be forwarded to the Office of Academic Records, who will complete the transfer evaluation.

After your courses have been evaluated, you may view the results on Campus Connection. Please refer to the section below on reviewing your Transfer Credit Report for additional details on how transfer courses have been equivalated. Also refer to the challenge procedures below if you would like to challenge how a course was accepted.

You can find course equivalencies from various schools across the U.S. on the Transfer Equivalency website. This database is for planning purposes only. A school or course not listed does not signify that it will not be accepted. The equivalencies listed are subject to change.

DSU accepts and transcribes all credits from regionally accredited institutions. All credit hours from institutions will be transcribed as semester hours on the DSU transcript.

Courses are accepted in transfer in a combination of ways:

  • Equal to a specific course at DSU
  • Fulfills a general education course requirement
  • Fulfills a requirement towards major, minor, concentration, option, or track
  • As elective credit

Dickinson State University participates in the General Education Requirements Transfer Agreement (GERTA) with other North Dakota institutions and the NDUS transfer agreements with out-of-state institutions and state systems.  More information, details, and qualifications of state articulation agreements may be located through NDUS ProceduresA complete list of DSU articulation agreements and MOU’s is available here.    

Once a student has been accepted, transfer credits will be evaluated and posted in the order in which they are received. Students are contacted via email after their transcripts are posted. An evaluation of courses and DSU equivalents are available for your review in Campus Connection > Transfer Credit > View Transfer Credit Report.

Your general education requirements will be considered met if you meet one of the following:

Successful completion of a four-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.

Successful completion of Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree from a school within the North Dakota University System.)

Successful completion of general education requirements at any North Dakota University System institution or Tribal College will fulfill the North Dakota General Education Transfer Agreement (GERTA).

According to the DSU Equivalency and Substitution Waiver Policy 530.008, you may be allowed to substitute or waive courses upon approval from your advisor, the department chair, director of academic records, and the vice president of academic affairs/provost.

Students should consult the department chair of the corresponding department to determine if a course is equivalent to a DSU course or if a transfer course may be used as a substitution. A course description or course syllabus may be requested to assist with the determination. 

Course substitution is when a student petitions to substitute a different course (transferred or not) in lieu of a required course to complete his/her degree. Substitutions are issued by the academic department on a case-by-case basis and are only effective for the current student requesting the substitution(s).

Course substitutions do not override prerequisites.

Course equivalency is when a student transfers in a course from another college or university and wants that course to be equal to one that DSU offers. Upon approval, the course will then be equivalent for other students coming from the same college or university.

If you haven’t applied to Dickinson State but are thinking about attending and would like to know if your courses will transfer, you can request an unofficial transfer credit evaluation. The request will be held for 30 days until the Office of Academic Records receives an unofficial transcript by mail, fax, or email. Please contact Gwen Mosqueda at to request an unofficial transfer evaluation. Please allow 3-5 business days to process.

Office of Academic Records

291 Campus Drive

Dickinson, ND 58601

701-502-4030 – Phone

701-483-2409 - Fax



Higher Learning Commission


Middle States Commission on Higher Education


New England Commission of Higher Education


Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities


Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges


Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission


Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges